Full Course Description
Integrative Medicine and Nutrition for PTSD and Complex Trauma
This online multimedia video course teaches clinicians about the application of integrative medicine and nutrition for the treatment of PTSD, Complex Trauma, mild Traumatic Brain Injury and their sequelae. Traumatic stress and complex trauma are the quintessential mind, brain-body dis-eases. The course provides a roadmap for integrating treatment methods for clinicians working in either mental or physical health disciplines or those seeking to integrate both.
- Catalogue foundational terms of reference and disciplines which comprise the field of Nutritional & Integrative Medicine as it relates to clinical practice.
- Investigate an integrative mind-body treatment approach to managing symptoms of PTSD and complex trauma.
- Determine federal and state level legal issues when practicing integrative medicine and nutritional therapies in a variety of clinical settings.
- Evaluate scope of practice issues and their clinical implications for each participating profession.
- Investigate the psychological elements of trauma that may be addressed through nutrition and integrative medicine.
- Formulate clinical relational challenges to be applied when working with special needs of people with medical, dental and white collar trauma.
- Investigate the biological and physiological elements of trauma that may be addressed through nutrition and integrative medicine.
- Analyze the effects of chronic inflammation on depression, PTSD, and anxiety disorders.
- Propose integrative medicine interventions to enhance energy production and manage inflammation and pain.
- Demonstrate and address the unique needs of different populations including LGBTQ+ and BIPOC communities.
- Evaluate the role of integrative medicine and nutrition as multicultural interventions.
- Investigate the impact of trauma on marginalized communities and its clinical implications.
- Investigate how traumatic events disrupt biological rhythms.
- Apply CR and nutritional therapies for regulation of circadian rhythm.
- Employ nutrition and integrative approaches to assess and manage digestion challenges.
- Investigate the major digestive disorders correlated with complex trauma and nutritional interventions.
- Propose strategies to conduct a comprehensive, integrative medicine and nutritional therapy post trauma assessment.
- Employ commonly used clinical tests to assess physical health effects of PTSD and trauma.
- Defend ethics and scope regarding practitioners’ use of tests, assessments, and analyses.
- Apply stage-specific methods for engaging a client in food preparation for self-care and self-regulation.
- Choose specific foods and diets to help autonomic balance and evaluate how others may hinder it.
- Present the science of food choices and their role in inflammatory process underlying depression and anxiety.
- Choose the types of foundational and adjunctive supplements to restore psychobiological balance.
- Investigate the effects of neurohormones in mental health and its treatment implications.
- Analyze the science of herbal medicine and use it for reduction of anxiety and depression.
- Use adaptogens, nervines, anti-inflammatory and antidepressant herbs to create integrative medicine treatment approaches.
- Investigate ways in which detoxification improves mental health.
- Conduct the management and tapering of pharmaceutical medications.
- Propose methods using hot and cold water therapies to address pain and anxiety.
- Defend the benefits of yoga for managing anxiety in children and adults.
- Apply yoga to enhance self-regulation and attachment in children and adolescents.
- Conduct 6 innovative breathing exercises that extend beyond conventional methods to address specific symptoms of right/left brain dysfunction.
- Propose a model for integrating somatic methods for PTSD and complex trauma management.
- Assess a range of methods for making appropriate stage-based referrals.
- Investigate how the intersections of sensory processing, trauma, and somatics in children and adults impacts treatment planning.
- Develop specific stage based methods of ecotherapy for reducing autonomic reactivity.
- Analyze clinical research on how human-animal interaction enhances self-regulation and attachment capacity in children and adults.
- Choose appropriate categories and types of psychedelic medicine for integrative medicine trauma treatment applications.
- Investigate how psychedelic medicine is theorized to support trauma recovery.
- Measure client readiness for psychedelic medicine use through the assessment process.
- Evaluate the role of integrative spiritual methods and apply them for post-traumatic growth.
- Apply the concept of the wounded healer and investigate its relationship to integrative medicine.
- Defend the role of rituals, psychobiologically, in trauma recovery and management.
- Investigate the role of learned helplessness and positive psychology in treatment adherence.
- Create a treatment plan for the client, based on the Brainbow Blueprint.
- Develop a phase-specific plan for delivery of treatment, client education, and goal achievement.
Ethics and Scope of Practice
- Terms of reference
- What disciplines comprise the field
- Thinking integratively as the core feature
- Chronic Illnesses & ACE’s
- Apply a trauma-informed model of self-care, nutritional and integrative approaches
- The principle of substitutions and conscious self-medication
- Integrating IM with other methods
- Polyvagal, IFS, Eye Movement, Post trauma therapy
Psychology of Trauma
- Working independently, group practice, hospital settings
- Legal issues
- Codes of ethics
- Informed consent handouts
- Disclosure documents handouts
- Interpersonal dynamics
Trauma, Biology and the Body
- Acute and chronic PTSD, complex trauma, Dissociative-type, DSM5
- Special types of trauma
- Medical, dental, military, white collar (clergy, professionals, gurus)
- ACES quiz and its relationship to physical health
- Caregiver stressors
- Interpersonal and power dynamics
- Identify the role for IM in attachment and self-regulation in children and adults
Culture and Identity
- Energy, fatigue and mitochondria
- Stress response: hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis
- Dysautonomia (POTS, chronic fatigue, pain, fibromyalgia)
- Chronic illnesses, chronic pelvic pain
- Psychoneuro-immunolgy, autoimmune disorders
- Digestive disorders; gut and dysbiosis
- Demographics of trauma and ethnicity/identity
- The disease of disguise
- The role of integrative medicine and nutrition in treatment across cultures
- Developing cultural savvy and humility
- Overcoming stigma with integrative medicine and nutrition
- LGBTQ communities
- BIPOC communities
- Historical trauma
- Cultural Formulation Interview: DSM 5
- Video interview with Gary Ferguson: Indigenous traditions for PTSD, cultural and historical trauma
Brainbow Blueprint: Integrative and Nutritional Strategies
Circadian and Ultradian Rhythm and Hormones
- Assessment and testing of circadian rhythm as it pertains to PTSD
- Somatic Empathy; methods of clinical entrainment in treatment
- The role of pranayama in altering brain hemispheric rhythms
- The brain and heart: heat rate variability and HeartMath technology
- The role of hormones in trauma throughout the life cycle
Bioindividuality, Digestion, and Diet
- Bio individuality and personalized health
- Polyvagal theory, nutrition and integrative methods
- Restoration strategies for digestion from salivation to elimination
- Digestive disorders (GERD, Colitis, NAFLD, Metabolic syndrome, IBS constipation) in complex trauma and PTSD
- Video demonstration of Dr. Korn teaching clients a visceral self-massage to improve digestion
Integrative Assessment, Tests and Evaluation
- Conducting an integrative medicine and nutritional assessment for trauma and its sequelae
- Review of ethics and scope
- Tests, assessments, and analysis
- Demonstration of the assessment process
- Food mood diary and analysis
- Measures and tests of personalized health
Culinary and Spice Medicine
- The role of nutrition in PTSD and Complex trauma
- Introducing the food-mood connection to your client
- Age and stage specific food and dietary recommendations
- Techniques of intermittent fasting, ketosis and the brain
- The Brainbow diet: how food colors reflect nutrients
- Fantastic fungi; integrating medicinal mushrooms into the diet
- Developing a stage-based plan congruent for the client and family
- How culture, ethnicity and genomic testing informs optimal nutrition
- Cultural identity as a pathway to nutrition
- Engaging the whole family in culinary recovery
- Designing psycho-culinary group therapies
- Video demonstration of how and why to make fresh juice
- Review of nutrition research: why is it so confusing?
- Matching supplements to intake assessment
- Assessing supplement quality
- Amino acid therapy for depression, anxiety, sleep, pain, cognition
- Neurotransmitters, precursors, and food
- Vitamins, minerals glandulars, fatty acids
- Fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins
- What supplements to choose first and why
- The science and clinical use of supplements to enhance or replace pharma
- Creating 3-6-9-12 month plan
- Collaborating with nutrition professionals
- List the evidence for types of herbs and preparations for PTSD and its sequelae
- Adaptogens, nervines, anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, tonics
- Enhancing resilience with herbs
- Cannabis: CBD, THC, terpenes; indications, contraindications
- Essential oils: the engagement of the senses for mood and vagal health
- Drug-nutrient-herb interactions: using a database and keeping your client safe
- Video demonstration: making cafe de ramon: a coffee substitute
Detoxification and Hydrotherapy Strategies
- Hydrotherapy: the use of hot and cold water for psychoneuroimmune support
- How hot and cold alters mood, pain, headaches
- Managing side effects & tapering off medications
- Discontinuation syndrome
- Detoxing from pharmaceutical medication,
- Methods for collaborating with prescribers
- Developing a taper team
- Audio Demonstration of a collaborative phone call to the prescriber about client tapering
Exercise, Yoga, Breath, and Sound
- Brain hemispheric dominance exercises
- State based exercise applied to specific symptoms and capacities
- Balance exercises to enhance emotional flexibility
- Yoga as exposure therapy
- PTSD, hyperventilation syndrome, disordered breathing, and anxiety
- Advanced assessment tools
- Rib breathing and advanced techniques
- Breathing, and somatic symptoms
- Video demonstration of yoga and exercises for PTSD and complex trauma by Dr. Korn
- Video of exercises for balance and coordination for complex trauma and MTBI
- Video interview with Jill Charney: yoga for developmental trauma, attachment and self-regulation
Somatics, Bodywork, and Energy Therapies
- Provide a framework for somatic interventions used in treating PTSD and complex trauma
- Bodywork as exposure therapy
- Energy medicine: neurofeedback, cranial electrical stimulation, and photobiomodulation
- Self-massage and pressure point therapies for pain digestion
- Sensory awareness and integration
- Intersection of trauma highly sensitive individuals and sensory processing in children and adults
- The role of somatics in treatment
- Bidirectional strategies eye/brain/mind
- Video demonstration of visceral massage and diaphragm release for anxiety and eating disorders
Nature and Human/Animal Bond
- The clinical application of eco therapies for children and adults
- Nature-based stress-inoculation and resilience strategies
- Developing peripheral vision in nature for autonomic relaxation
- Barometric pressure, migraines and pain
- The science of canine & equine therapies
- The clinical application of touch using animal therapists
- The role of canine therapists working with victims of violence and the justice system
- Human-animal interaction, self-regulation and attachment
Entheogens and Psychedelic Medicine
- Terms of reference
- Assessment for readiness and referral
- Medical versus traditional: what the client and clinician need to know
- Research on psychedelics
- Anxiety, end-of life, PTSD
- Psychedelics and the Sacred journey
- Psychedelic medicine
- Peyote (Lophophora williamsii)
- Video interview with George Moscona, LPC: The sacred path of healing with psychedelic medicine
Spirituality, Post-Traumatic Growth, and the Transformation of Trauma
- Transpersonal psychology and thriving
- Cultivating resilience
- Self-care as a path of transformation
- The wounded healer
- The role of stories in reclaiming self as hero
- Rituals for recovery:
- Psychobiology of rituals
- Co-creating individual and group processes
- Special treatment needs when the traumatic etiology derives from spiritual/religious authorities
- Video interview with Candace Hammer Chaney: Integrative medicine at the end-of-life
The Roadmap to Health: Enhancing Adherence and Motivating for Success
- Motivation and adherence strategies
- Shared decision making: best practices guidelines
- Identifying the time required for change
- Self-disclosure strategies
- Developing group and telehealth support
- Motivational Interviewing and engagement
- Relapse prevention strategies
- Avoiding pitfalls
- Therapist/clinician as coach and cheerleader
- Creating a treatment plan based on the assessment
- Delivery of treatment plan
- Educating the client
- Return to initial goals
- Language and strategies for introducing these methods to clients, families and colleaguesManaging skeptics, and resistance
- Affordability and access strategies
- Strategies for developing a successful practice