There will always be clients who tell you, “Nothing is ever going to change.”
There will always be clients who say, “I just can’t do this.”
These clients are tough.
But what if you had the tools to show hopeless clients how to believe in their own abilities to solve their most challenging problems, and help them to create the life of their dreams?
That’s what Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) can do. SFBT is an evidence-based, positivity-centered, results-driven approach that helps you enjoy quick wins with clients in a shorter amount of time.
We can show you how it’s done...
In this course, Elliott Connie, MA, LPC, Solution Focused Brief Therapy trainer, author, and psychotherapist walks you through the philosophical shift from problem to solution-oriented therapy — completely transforming your clinical practice.
No tricks, no theoretical rhetoric that takes years to understand – just simple, practical, innovative strategies that will transform your clients’ relationship with their perceived problems.
You’ll get real-world case examples, engaging stories, the opportunity to practice new skills, and in-session demonstrations.
With Solution Focused Brief Therapy, the emphasis is on the outcome.
For clients willing to take steps towards their desired outcomes — ready to focus on the present and future rather than the past — Solution Focused Brief Therapy is exactly what you need.
And it’s all available here...
What Distinguishes SFBT From Traditional Approaches?
- Key tenets, theories and the evidence behind SFBT
- How important is the problem?
- Why assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning don’t guide treatment
- ”The details drive the change”
- The absence of symptomology versus the presence of what clients most desire
- The two most important words in SFBT
Intentional Questions: The Strength Behind SFBT
- Reframe questions as invitations
- How to build questions that:
- Lead to meaningful answers
- Create change that sticks
- Harness your client’s strengths and resources
- Immediately replace resistance with buy-in
- Keep the client engaged throughout session
- Core SFBT questions:
- Desired Outcome: Discover what clients want to be different in their lives
- Resource Talk: Activate the client’s strengths
- Preferred Future: Elicit a detailed description of what the client wants
- Scaling: Measure progress toward the desired outcomes
- Coping Questions: Find positive resources even in difficult situations
Inside a SFBT Session: Innovative, Practical Strategies from Start to Finish
- Opening the Session
- Why your first few interactions are crucial
- How to elicit hope right away
- Key questions to instantly shift the client’s perspective
- The Core of the Session
- Working with one problem at a time
- Strategies to build momentum toward the client’s hoped for future
- Tolerating silence and using it as a valuable tool
- What to do when the client is focused on problems and symptoms
- Techniques to keep the client engaged and the session meaningful
- Closing the Session
- Specific strategies for effective session closure
- Increasing the likelihood of between-session work
- Video case examples: See each step of SFBT — in action!
SFBT Across Settings and Populations
- School-based SFBT
- Group therapy
- Children, adolescents and families
- Addictions, trauma and severe mental illness
- Multicultural factors
- Ethical considerations
- Limitations of the research and potential risks
Be the one who is there for your clients as you confidently guide them to the next step toward their desired future. By the end of this training course, you’ll know how to:
- Implement solution-focused strategies that improve clinical outcomes with a variety of patients, including those living with anxiety, depression, and strained relationships
- Apply SFBT skills with patients both in-person and using a telehealth platform — offering patients hope and resilience in cases where these were lacking
- Ask the right questions to help move your clients from “stuck” to hopeful as they stay engaged throughout sessions and shift problem-focused talk toward productive, solution-focused talk
- Ensure that your clients know that you believe in them and that you believe that they can change
- Elicit hope in clients and increase the likelihood of between-session work for diverse clients and populations, including couples, families, children, and adolescents
- Activate client strengths and measure progress toward desired outcomes — helping them find coping skills in the most difficult situations
- Assess when solution-focused therapy may NOT be of the best interest of your client…
And so much more!
" Mr. Connie was a wonderful, genuine, and vibrant presenter! His use of client sessions was really helpful and I'm very excited to utilize these techniques/mindsets in client sessions! Thanks, Elliott! " — Jennifer Stotts
" The best workshop I have ever attended regarding SFBT. " — Dontea' Mitchell-Hunter
" Mr. Connie is a very engaging and warm presenter. I loved his seminar! " — Marilyn Ritzau
" Excellent Speaker! Best I have heard on this topic. " — Susan Lee
" Awesome presenter! He knew how to keep the audience's attention, deliver content in an understandable and organized manner, and provide stories/narratives versus solely providing definitions/theories. " — Amanda Younger
In this digital seminar, Elliott Connie shows you how to help your client focus on the solution, not the problem as you make therapy briefer and more efficient and increase your effectiveness with all clients. Includes live presentations of SFBT skills in action, interactive exercises and the latest research on SFBT. PLUS: Earn up to 2.75 CEs!
In this seminar, Elliott Connie walks you through Solution Focused Brief Therapy on a telehealth platform. Fill your clinical toolbox with simple, practical, innovative strategies that will transform your clients’ relationships with their perceived problems. Discover why SFBT is aligned with the telehealth model and start conducting SFBT in your practice today! PLUS: Earn up to 2.75 CEs!
- Step 1: Register and watch this course online.
- Step 2: Complete the Continuing Education quiz and instantly print your certificate of completion.
- Step 3: Earn up to 11.75 CE hours and start making a huge difference in your clients' lives!
Elliott Connie, MA, LPC, is a Texas-based psychotherapist in private practice and the founder/director of The Solution-Focused University, an online learning community that trains and provides resources for professionals who want to master the Solution Focused approach in their work.
Over the course of his 15-year clinical career, Elliott has successfully worked with thousands of individuals, couples, and families using a solution-focused model to help them achieve their desired outcomes. He is an experienced speaker who has gained international recognition for training hundreds of practitioners throughout the United States, Australia, Europe and Asia on the solution-focused treatment model.
Elliott is the author/co-author of four books, including Solution-Focused Brief Therapy with Clients Managing Trauma (Oxford University Press, 2018), The Solution Focused Marriage: 5 Simple Habits That Will Bring Out the Best in Your Relationship (The Connie Institute, 2012), Solution Building in Couples Therapy (Springer, 2012), and The Art of Solution Focused Therapy (Springer, 2009).
Click here for information about Elliott Connie